Information on the number of Children Ofsted registered Childminders can care for at any one time
We have had a few members ask us about the number of children that they are allowed to care for within the 2012 EYFS framework.
This factsheet just published by Ofsted may clarify the situation for you. After reading it, if you do decide you can look after an additional child under the ‘exceptional circumstances’ statement (see clause 3.29 of the EYFS Framework), we would encourage you to keep written details of your assessment as to why the exception is appropriate, including details of:
- the length of time you are providing care
- whether your furniture, space and equipment is sufficient
- how you will continue to meet the needs of all the children who attend, including making sure children are safe
- how you will deliver the learning and development requirements of the EYFS to all the children you care for, help them make the best possible progress and receive an enjoyable and challenging learning experience
- how you organise your day so that all children get enough of your time
- whether you have assessed and mitigated any risks in relation to taking on any additional children, for example through considering how you might have to rearrange play spaces to cope with an extra child or manage outings.
Thanks for reading,
The information contained in our blogs, newsletters, resources and website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by us and we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to our blogs, newsletters and website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website, blog or newsletters for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of our blogs, newsletters or website.